Whether you’re looking to try your first vegan meal, or enhance your current recipes, farro is a healthy grain sure to please. In this recipe, the chewy, mildly nutty flavor of farro is spiced-up by the zest of smoked tempeh; the seasoned, roasted sweet potatoes and carrots are served over fresh mixed greens. Add avocado slices seasoned with lime and cilantro or, if you’re in a rush, use a store bought avocado hummus for added flavor.
Servings: Large Bowls for 2 as a dinner entree. Small Bowls for 4 as a lunch or appetizer salad.
- 1 cup 1/2″ diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup 1/2″ diced carrots
- 2 teaspoons organic sunflower oil, divided
- 15 ounces cooked chickpeas
- 4 ounces smoky organic tempeh strips
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups mixed dark greens
- 1/4 cup garlic hummus
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 375F. Set out a large baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, toss sweet potatoes and carrots with 1 teaspoon cooking oil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Spread out in a single layer, on a third of the baking sheet.
- In the same mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas with remaining 1 teaspoon of oil, a pinch of salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, until coated. Spread out in a single layer on second third of the baking sheet. Place tempeh strips on remaining third, and roast for 30 minutes. Flip tempeh strips, and shuffle around the sweet potatoes and chickpeas (while keeping them separate), at 15 minutes.
- While those are roasting, place water, farro grains and a hefty pinch of salt into a small pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cooking for 20-25 minutes or until the grains are chewy but soft.
- Once the farro is done, divide it and the greens between the bowls. When the potatoes, chickpeas, and tempeh are roasted, season with salt if necessary, then divide among the bowls, finishing with hummus, almonds and lemon wedges (for squeezing over). Serve warm and enjoy!