Experience the nutty sweetness of carrot cake in a healthy, bite-size truffle. In this recipe, bound to be a favorite at your holiday gatherings, walnuts and pecans provide healthy fat, while carrots, coconut flakes, and medjool dates provide nutrient density. Cinnamon and nutmeg top off the autumn notes while ginger adds zing.
Prep Time 10 Mins
Total Time 40 Mins
Serves 12 (serving size: 2 truffles)
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnut halves
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pecans
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened pineapple
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for coating (if desired)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- Place walnuts, pecans, dates, and pineapple in a high-power food processor. Process until almost paste-like. Add coconut, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Process until combined. Turn the mixture out into a bowl.
- Use a paper towel to blot excess water from carrots. Add carrots to the mixture and combine. Form mixture into 24 round truffles; roll in shredded coconut flakes to coat, if desired. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Image attribution: ismishko/freepik.com