In these uncertain, crazy, anxiety-inducing times, we are still open and care about your health and well-being! As always, we here at Holistic Lakewood take precautions to make sure your experience here is as sanitary as possible. We hope you are well and stay that way. Please know that if any of us feel sick, we won’t come to work. And if any of you feel sick, please stay home. Otherwise, we are here to help. Read on for information on reducing your stress levels!
Overcoming stress is an important step in strengthening your immune system. Chronic stress suppresses the immune response of the body by releasing the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is important for helping your body deal with stressful situations, however, when cortisol levels are too high for too long, this hormone can hurt you more than it helps.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, there are several steps you can take to lower your stress levels.
- Limit your exposure to the coronavirus news. Get news only from reliable sources and don’t become absorbed in the coverage for long periods of time.
- Don’t isolate yourself if you are not sick. Unnecessarily quarantining yourself is likely to increase your stress. It is important to continue to engage with others, especially when you’re stressed.
- Get moving. It’s easier for stress to take over when we’re stationary. Exercise has many benefits. It helps to maintain immune health by getting white blood cells moving through the body.
- Laughter. As the old adage goes, laughter really is the best medicine. Laughing lowers the levels of stress hormones, while boosting white blood cells that are responsible for fighting infection.
- Practice good hygiene. This advice is everywhere these days, but don’t stop paying attention to it. Keep washing your hands! It’s the simplest and most effective protection against catching unwanted germs.
- Eat well. While no single food will upgrade your immune system, poor nutrition can have a negative effect on the immune system. Fuel your body from within by eating brightly colored fruits and vegetables, especially those that contain Vitamins A, C, E, Zinc and Selenium which support a healthy immune system.
- Get enough sleep. One of the best ways to stay healthy is simply to get adequate sleep on a regular basis. Getting enough good, quality sleep each night is essential in staying healthy.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps all of your body’s systems function at optimum levels. Drinking plenty of water flushes toxins and ensures that your cells get all of the oxygen they need to function as they were meant to.
Do not let fear rule your daily living. Maintain your routine as much as possible. Be guided by reason, responsibility, and keep your fears in check. Fear, just like a virus, is contagious.